Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Meal Planning

I've been most successful in the past by planning dinners first.   Make enough and you can have lunches ready to go for the next day!

As a working mom, I don't have nearly the amount of time that'd I would like to sift through magazines and  cookbooks for new ideas.  So when a friend told me about The Six O'Clock Scramble, it sounded like just the thing I needed.  Aviva will email you a newsletter every week with 5 dinners that are easy to prepare and healthy.  My ONLY gripe is that most of the dinners will provide you with your "red" and "green" servings for the day.  Not a lot of color variety, so that's where the other meals and snacks will be filling in.

For this week we have the following:

Tuesday:  Chili con Barley, Garlic Cheese Bread, Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Wednesday:  Spicy Shrimp with Cheesy Grits, Steamed Broccoli
Thursday:  Gnocchi with Artichokes and Sun-dried Tomatoes, Steamed Squash
Friday:  Pizza

From there, Pebbles and I went grocery shopping and picked up:
Red Grapes
Tangelos
Bananas
YoBaby Blueberry Yogurt
Whole & Skim Milk

So just looking, we have reds, greens, blues, oranges, yellows!  I'm a little concerned that we're heavy on the fruit and light on veggies, but we'll see how the week goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment